But that's not what this post is about.
Social Media's Silver Rule
Don't Be Stupid.That doesn't sound too hard and yet we see stupid stuff all the time being done on, through, and with social media.
So how can you follow the Social Media Silver Rule?
- Check your privacy settings on Facebook.
- Don't post things on social networks that will come back to haunt you like eating rancid meat.
- Think about what you are sharing.
- You don't have to be friends with everyone.
- Have a filter. Don't write/tweet/post/share everything that just pops in your head.
- Remember what you write/tweet/post/share could easily reflect poorly in professional settings.
- You have the right to remain silent; anything you write/tweet/post/share can and might actually be used against you in the court of public opinion.
- Check your privacy settings on Facebook. (Yes, it's repeated, but it's worth it if one more person sees the importance of clicking 'Account --> Privacy Settings' in Facebook. They've made some changes at Facebook and you need to know how to block them.)