But don't forget creativity.
I recently came across a cool post, 29 ways to stay creative, while stumbling through the web with the often-ignored StumbleUpon.
Some of its tips are solid reminders (or possibly new inspiration) for public relations professionals seeking to quench their creative thirst.
Here are my favorites from the post:
- Get away from the computer - I'm guilty of allowing myself to be tethered to my computer and/or office. You need to be able to step away and unplug.
- Get feedback - Listen, listen, and listen some more.
- Don't give up - The same determination and perseverance we try to instill in our kids should be the same well we draw from in our professional lives.
- Allow yourself to make mistakes - You can learn a lot from a dummy. You can learn even more when that dummy is you.
- Go somewhere new - Maybe it's somewhere new for lunch or somewhere new in the bookstore for your reading. Get out of your comfort-zone.
- Take risks - While you are out of your comfort-zone, explore and push boundaries.
- Break the rules - Sometimes those boundaries can be bent or broken.
- Stop trying to be someone else's perfect - While I wouldn't advise constant push-back against senior staff, I do think you can (and should) assert yourself when necessary as the organization's strategic communication expert. That's why you're there.
- Finish something - Take that project from cradle to grave.