|(Photo credit: vcorne00 via Flickr Creative Commons)|
Some days you keep those plates spinning and some days those plates come crashing in spectacular ways. Those times there's nothing else to do but step back and smile at the ridiculousness of the day.
Here are some PR plate-wobbling realities. A few I have personally endured and (thankfully) others I've had the pleasure of only hearing.
1. You'll have to do an on-camera interview on the day you skipped the tie and/or the razor.
2. Your story will get buried by breaking news.
3. Your carefully hand-crafted email pitch will get stuck in the reporter's spam filter.
4. Your phone battery will die right before that client/supervisor/board member/reporter calls you with urgent news.
5. You will get a jury summons for the same day as a massive special event.
6. A reporter will call after hours for a quote/statement right after you open your first adult beverage.
7. A reporter will contact you to confirm or comment on a situation and all you have to take notes with is the back of a receipt and an eye-liner pencil.
8. You will do an on-camera interview in a muddy field on the same day you happen to wear new shoes.
9. You will have to go after someone cool like a fireman or bomb-squad technician at the local school career day.
10. The day the media picks up that story and wants an interview is the day you wear one black sock and one blue sock.
11. After a year of convincing your boss about a good idea, they tell you the same thing after seeing it a trade show or convention.
12. After multiple design meetings and discussions, your client still wants to use Comic Sans.
13. Your parents still don't know what it is you do for a living.
Your turn. What would you add to this list?
But first, in the words of the great Jimmy Buffett:
It’s these changes in latitudes,
changes in attitudes nothing remains quite the same.
With all of our running and all of our cunning,
If we couldn’t laugh, we would all go insane...