Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Purpose of Influence

Blog Action Day 2008: Poverty

I have been thinking about what it was I could contribute to the international Blog Action Day conversation for a few weeks:
All of these things, while worthy of reminding, reading, and researching, led me to take a look at a question: What is the purpose of influence? 

I've read Rick Warren's The Purpose Driven Life and have also gone through a church-wide 40 Days of Purpose plan. It is a wonderful teaching tool and it helped me start doing some things I should and stop doing some things I shouldn't be doing. But, it really hasn't clicked for me until now.

What does this have to do with Blog Action Day 2008?
It all comes down to stewardship of influence. I found a 2006 TED talk by Pastor Warren entitled Living a Life of Purpose. In it Warren describes what he refers to as the purpose of influence:
The purpose of influence is to speak-up for those who have no influence.
I think we can all agree that people living in poverty fall within the category of having little to no influence on society. This should be the reason so many influential bloggers choose to participate in a Blog Action Day, to reach millions in order to shed light on this global problem. It's not about ego, driving traffic, or SEO; it's about using the gifts we are given in order to do something good.

Think about your stewardship of influence and stewardship affluence: